The Fukuoka General Union has a long read titled The ALT Scam that points out the problems with BOEs outsourcing ALT jobs.
The main points are:
- ALT jobs have been deemed a "service" so local governments can save money and avoid the management of foreign employees.
- It is illegal for sub-contracted ALT teachers to work at public schools
- ALTs/Dispatch companies don't know if they will get the next job/contract
- Most ALT jobs advertised will not eventuate because they do not exsist and nobody knows if they will eventuate
- Dispatch companies take big margins and the more they squeeze the ALT the more profit they make
- Sub-contract ALTs are in reality double taxed losing 5% to consumption tax
- Dispatch companies make profits from not enrolling ALTs in SH
- A sub-contract ALT has practically no recourse if the school deems them sub-standard
- BOEs ignore the Ministry of Education directive to employ ALTs directly
- The BOE has no way of knowing if the dispatch company is breaking labour laws
Get a cup of your favorite beverage and read it all...